Monday, November 30, 2020

Week 13, Training for 50K Trail Race

After Sunday's epic run my body was tired both physically and emotionally. I needed extra nutrition on Sunday and Monday, and extra rest and mobility exercises. By Tuesday I was feeling about 70% back to normal, and by Wednesday I hit homeostasis. 

 Week 13 Training Plan: (2nd - 11th November)

Monday: Rest and Recovery, Mobility 30+ minutes.

Tuesday: Rest and Recover, Core strength 30 minutes.

Wednesday: Run on flats 4 miles HR not to exceed 143, Strength 30 min.

Thursday:  Run 7 miles @ 8:15 pace with 1 mile @ 6:50 pace, Mobility 30 minutes.

Friday: Recovery day, CORE & Mobility 30 mins each.

Saturday: Go have fun and ride bike outside for 90 minutes. 

Sunday: Trail run 4 hours with 3000+ feet elevation gain.

The beginning of this week was great having both Monday and Tuesday set aside for rest days, then coming back with an easy run on Wednesday. Since it has been a while that I've done any speed work due to focussing on endurance of late it was time to hit a hard effort on Thursday.

Thursday was so much fun getting out and really pushing the pace. Since my focus for so many weeks has been on longer distances my pace has slowed down, so it was a bit hard to hit my fast 1 mile effort prescribed pace. I was able to maintain my elevated pace before the 1 mile effort and again after so I was happy with that. It is true you cannot trail well for both speed and endurance, one will suffer at the other ones gain. 

Friday was another rest day, so I spent the day trying to upload my videos from the last few weeks. My poor iPad is on it's way out, it knows I ordered a new one so it's giving me even more grief, thus the reason it's taking so long to get my videos out. Between attempts at uploading, I spent time working my mobility for my legs so that they would be all nice and happy for Sunday's big run.

Before we get to Sunday I had to go have fun on my bike Saturday. I bought new wheels a few months ago and it's taken me a while to get them set up. Tire and pump issues, but finally thought I had it resolved. I jumped on my bike and a very chilly Saturday afternoon only to turn around 3 minutes later due to brake and drivetrain issues. So frustrating especially since I'm a mechanic, but I don't have the tools to make the adjustments this time. Off the road bike and onto the Mountain Bike then. Off I got to hit some dirt near my house, but keeping it to the flats as much as possible.   


Saturday afternoon and evening meals were very important in preparing for Sunday's run. The goal was to get plenty of proper nutrition and hydration so that I will wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go. My lunch consisted of lean turkey burger with some yellow mustard, roasted broccoli, and buttered baguette. Then dinner was grilled asada chicken thigh with roasted cubed yams and butter, and a small kale salad (kale, lemon juice, shredded parmesan cheese, drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper). Oh yeah and about 60 ounces of water throughout the day on Saturday. 

I got to bed by 10pm Saturday and up by 6:30am Sunday.  My breakfast was a cup of coffee with oat milk, 2 slices of toast with butter, cinnamon and brown coconut sugar. Right before I started my run I ate one of my homemade no bake energy bites (super easy to make: banana, oats, peanut butter, shredded coconut, protein powder, chocolate chips/dried cranberries/dried blueberries/ect). Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try for yourself.

This week I stayed close to home for my route and headed to South San Jose near the reservoirs. I started at the new entrance for Calero Reservoir where all the mountain bikers start. There was an 8 mile loop that I did here, before meandering my way over to Almaden Quicksilver park at the Hacienda entrance. Once there I made my way through another loop taking Mine Hill trail to Cape Horn Pass, Hacienda trail, Virl O Norton trail and popped out at the Mockingbird hill entrance to Quicksilver. Dove back in to Hacienda where the trail had about 4 really steep nasty sections of which I walked all of these as they were too steep to try and run. Eventually Hacienda starts going back down hill and meets back up with Mine hill trail and I then ran down the road to the trail head back to the Calero trail system and finished my run. 

In all this was a really fun route. I brought a different backpack today (this one does not leak) and had a straw into the water reservoir, and I started my hydrating at about 20 minutes into the run instead of my usual 45 minutes. This made a HUGE difference as I did not feel any muscle cramping, my lips never got chapped and my mouth never felt dry. Plus when I was eating my nutrition I didn't need to drink my hydration to give me enough moisture in my mouth to help break it down. This run, in addition to my previous foods, I added chicken nuggets to the mix. OH WOW!!!! That was a treat. Most of my other foods are very carb centered and sweet tasting, but these being a bit more protein centered and savory, they actually made my mouth water when I ate them. Those are a definite for my event in December. 

In total my run was 4 hours on the nose, and this time I completed 25 miles and 3200 feet of elevation gain. This is the longest run I will do before the event now. Next week will be focused on recovery as it's been a solid 3 weeks of building up, my body needs a rest week. 

Thanks for reading.





No comments:

Post a Comment