Thursday, November 21, 2019

Paleo Zuppa Toscana Soup

It's that time of year when I like to start making hot comfort food meals. By comfort food I don't mean get crazy and overload with cheese and heavy whipping cream to totally derail my health. Instead I like to make soups, chili's, one pot heart meals and lots of root veggie dishes.

I was surfing the web and came across a recipe for Zuppa Toscana Paleo style and I just had to try it. This recipe used parsnips instead of white potatoes and coconut cream instead of heavy whipping cream. So of course I had to give it a try. As always I change things even on my first time making something new. I like to be able to have leftovers so most of the time it is just a doubling of the recipe as I did this time. The following recipe will give you 6 servings. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!



Ingredients:
1.5 lbs Hot Italian Chicken Sausage, removed from casing
1 small White Onion, chopped
3 Medium Parsnips, chopped
4 cups Chicken Bone Broth
1 can full fat Coconut milk, DO NOT shake it as you will only use the cream off the top
1 bunch of leaf Kale, chopped or ripped, I used 4 leaves from the bunch
A shake of red chili flakes if it's just not hot enough

In a large pot over medium heat, cook the sausage and onion, using a spatula to break the sausage into bite size pieces. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the sausage starts to brown and the onions have softened.

Add the parsnips, coconut cream and chicken bone broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.

Add the kale and cook for about 5 more minutes, just enough to wilt the kale.

Serve and enjoy. and If it's not spicy enough for you add a dash or more of red chili flakes.


P.S. I enjoyed the soup so much I completely forgot to take a picture of my soup for this post. Instead I had to take this from the original author, but mine did look EXACTLY like this, just in a different bowl.

P.S.S. I enjoyed this with a nice hot gluten free baguette and butter. YUM!

P.S.S.S. Oops! How did that bottle of wine get in there? Yes in addition to the soup and baguette the wine was enjoyed with it too.







No comments:

Post a Comment